hydroflow is an environmentally friendly, water based casting compound that comes in two components - a mineral powder and a water based acrylic binder
A sustainable solution for creating functional & decorative items with a cement texture & appearance. Can be used to make smooth or textured pieces, hydroflow will replicate the most detailed texture in your mould to produce unique jewellery, creative arts and crafts.
It has thousands of uses, limited only by the shape of your mould. Patterns can be created in newly poured pieces using a variety of tools.
Easily coloured with water based pigments such as our resi-TINT acrylic inks, acrylic paints or powdered tempura paints.
- Environmentally friendly
- Perfect for coasters, platters, vases, planters, soap dishes and many other items
- Ideal for creating ceramics and textured art pieces
- Can be used to create the terrazzo effect
- Easily sanded to create different finishes
- Everything you need in 6 kit sizes
How to use hydroflow water based casting compound
|Mix ratio||2.5 parts powder to 1 part liquid activator|
|Drying time||approx. 30 minutes, demould in 1-2 hours, can be sanded after 2 hours|
|Pot Life||10-20 minutes|
|Shelf life||one year in sealed containers|
Use any water based pigment E.g. resi-TINT acrylic inks, acrylic paints or powdered tempura paints. Any solid can be added (sand, mica, quartzite, dried shards of hydroflow etc).
When using the whole kit
Add colour to the hydroflow activator fluid before adding the powder. Add small amounts at a time and mix in stages until you have achieved a lump-free consistency
When using part of the kit
Pour the desired amount of hydroflow activator fluid into your mixing container. Add colour to the hydroflow activator fluid before adding the powder. Add 2.5 times the amount of powder to the fluid activator E.g. if you started with 100ml (100g) activator fluid then you should add 250g powder. 2.5:1 is the default mixing ratio, but this is not set in stone. You can adapt the ratio with less or more powder to obtain a runnier or thicker consistency to suit the application.
Once you have mixed to a creamy consistency you can top up the pigment addition to achieve a stronger colour shade.
Immediately pour into your mould and agitate to clear trapped air bubbles. If it thickens rapidly whilst pouring do not be concerned, simply stir again and it will become the same consistency as before. Allow to harden in 20-40 minutes. The mould will feel warm, this is normal. Demould after 1-2 hrs.
- can be sanded using either dry or wet/dry sandpaper to expose any terrazzo aggregate
- can be acid-etched with white vinegar when using stronger powder concentration, immerse for 30-60 minutes and clean off afterwards
- is heat resistant up to 125°C surface contact temperature
- is porous and can be sealed by brush using any acrylic/PVA sealer
hydroflow Water Based Casting Compound
- Product Code: hydroflow
- Availability: 85